Issue 335: New class Right Holding
Posted by Athina on 9/3/2017
We propose a new entity named Right Holding (see the attached ppt), which is in fact the event/state which is implied from the triangle structure Actor:possesses:Right:applies to: Legal Object: right held by:Actor.
This new class has temporal properties (timespan of rights), something that was missing before.
In the 38th joined meeting of the CIDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9 and the 31st FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting, the crm-sig reviewed Athina’s proposal about Right Holding (see figure below) and made the following comments:
- It seems that the class Right Holding should be a state, considering that when we say that somebody has a right we mean that has a social status. Thus, the definition of this class should be compatible with the definition of S16 State and Sxx Situation. (issue 329)
- It should be explored if extra properties are needed in order to be a state as well as the nature of these properties.
- The definition of the class Right Holding should be compatible with the definition of the new classes of plan model (issue 333).
- It should be examined the relation between Acquisition and Ownership
- Also it should be examined the events that establish or end the right state
HW is assigned to Richard and Martin to formulate the definition of the class Right Holding.
Heraklio, April 2017
posted by Martin on 11/1/2018
Here my attempt:
Subclass of: Institutional Relation
This n-ary relationship comprises the applicability of specific terms expressing rights of property, disposal, use or handling held by a specific instance of E39 Actor about a specific instance of E72 Legal Object. The terms may also comprise constraints of handling or use imposed by the holding party on third parties, such as authorship attribution. An instance of Right Holding comes into existence either implicitly by inheritance of the holding Actor or by an explicit legal act. It ends either by an explicit legal act or the end of existence of the holding actor or the legal object it is about or by virtue of initial terms limiting its time of validity.
held by (holds): E39 Actor
pertains to: E72 Legal Object
has terms: E30 Right
has validity period: E52 Time-Span
In 43rd joint meeting of the CIDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9; 36th FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting, the sig decided to close this issue and any future discussion on right holding to be documented in the issue 408.
The issue is closed
Heraklion, March 2019