Issue 312: Mapping Geopolitical Units to Period
In the 36th joined meeting of the CIDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9 and the 29th FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting, discussing methodological tips for mappings to CIDOC CRM, there was a discussion about how geopolitical units map to a period. Comments are:
- The period is defined as the geopolitcal unit (Claim of power / jurisdictional area is not just a paper entity but is a real phenomenon)
- Can add more explicit explanation of geopolitical unit
- It is suggested the scope note of Period to be improved (no particular person assigned)
There was a discussion about those that are mapped to propositional objects. It is proposed to add examples to E89 Propositional Object about fictitious persons and places. This HW assigned to Oyvind.
Iraklio, August 2016
posted by Oyvind on 6/12/2016
Sorry about the lateness of this homework. The task was “to add examples to E89 Propositional Object about fictitious persons and places.” I am not 100% sure about how to phrase such examples but I include two below as starting points for discussion.
• Maxwell’s Equations
• The ideational contents of Aristotle’s book entitled ‘Metaphysics’ as rendered in the Greek texts translated in … Oxford edition…
• The underlying prototype of any “no-smoking” sign (E36)
• The common ideas of the plots of the movie "The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurosawa and the movie “The Magnificent Seven” by John Sturges
• The image content of the photo of the Allied Leaders at Yalta 1945 (E38)
• Little Red Riding Hood as a fictitious person depicted in a number for media expressions including oral fairy tales, the Grimm brothers’ ‚Rotkäppchen’, and the film ‘Hoodwinked!’
• Havnor as the place is described in the ‘Earthsea’ book series by Ursula K. Le Guin, in maps made by her and others, in films based on the books, and in numerous fan fiction works.
In the 37th joined meeting of the CIDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9 and the 30th FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting, the crm-sig assigned to Gerald and Wolfgang with the help of Dominic to elaborate the scope note of E4 Period considering that the period maybe a geopolitical unit: a real phenomenon, Claim of power / jurisdictional area. Also, crm-sig asked Dominic to provide examples about modern and ancient periods.
Subsequently, the crm-sig discussed about the declarative vs phenomenal nature of the geopolitical unit and commented that this is should be under consideration.
Berlin, December 2016